Live Rock Question

Sep 27, 2008
I am trying to decide what live rock to get, there are 2 stores I am contemplating getting it from. One is a very nice LFS with knowledge people that I like, their rock is very nice looking, clean looking and its in a huge tank with good flow I believe their cheaper LR is 5.99 lb and premium is 8.99 lb. The other is from pet supermarket they have a small tank about 55 gallon holding their "fiji cured live rock" for 4.99 lb. This sounds like a good deal, but the LR has a more pink color on it and purple, but the tank is dirty and has algae growing in it and all over the LR, and there is little flow in the tank at all. Which would you choose? Is all the hair algae on the cheaper stuff bad?

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
the pink/purple may be coraline algae which is very good. BUT hair algae can present big issues for your tank and is hard to control, so not a good idea to introduce it to the tank for a savings of $1/lb.

Although shipping is not cheap look at other sites online where you can get a better deal.

Feb 22, 2008
I bought some fiji live rock, but unfortunately it introduced green hair algae into my tank. that stuff is bad news.

If you do get your rock from there make sure there is none that you will introduce to your tank, it can be so frustrating

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
damsels are bad news, territorial and mean and impossible to remove once established in your tank......not a good fish choice.... sorry but that is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You are right of course that if the tank is empty curing the rock in the display actually serves two purposes, it cures the rock and establishes the cycle at the same time. Some people prefer to do it in another container if the live rock has a large amount of decaying life attached as this can be a somewhat smelly venture and some don't want that in their living room.....though glade air fresheners help.... :)

In a small tank if you decide to go the uncured route, scrub the rock thoroughly with a stiff brush to remove any sponges or algae etc on the rock, scrub it with tank water not fresh water.......the term live rock does not have anything to do with hitchikers and growth on the rock but refers to the rocks holding of live beneficial bacteria.....so rock that is cured and looks remarkably clean can still be fully cured and live......you just can't see the bacteria.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I agree, say NO to damsels. Uncured rock actually doesn't take that long to cure if you do what Lorna said. Keep up with water changes and keep a skimmer running. I cured about 50 this way in about 30 days. I did this in my display because I was starting up a new tank.