Live rock storage?

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
Hey, My second pair of Clownfish died on me suddenly (Their stomachs bloated up, went down, bloated up again, went down, couple days later they both died. I hadn't changed ANYTHING, but anyways)
So basicly I'm not going to do the marine fish thing for a little while until I can really dedicate more time to it, but my problem is that I've got a bit of live rock that I'd rather not sell yet, so how can I store it? Can I just take it out, put it in a rubbermaid container with the top off until it dries out then close it?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
so how do I store it but keep it wet? just keep it in a rubbermaid container with a bunch of water for whenever I get the next round of fish? (Which at this point, I'm so disappointed with this last loss so soon after the previous one--It was like, 2 months. I really don't want to get any new fish for awhile because I'm tired of getting frustrated by fish suddenly and randomly dying because I feel like I don't know what I'm doing)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
What size tank do you have, I would leave it in the tank and just run the powerheads for a couple of weeks, let all your water parameters stablize and find out what happened to your clownfish.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You have a few options. First you could just take it out, dry it and when you use it later you could get a few new pieces to seed the old with bacteria. You could sell it, a lot of people want already cycled live rock. If you want to keep it get a rubbermaid container put the rock in it with some water a heater and a powerhead. You could just put this in your garage or a basement. The algae will die off but once you get it lit up it should come back quickly.

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
What happened was weird and really horrible. All of a sudden my fish stopped eating as much, then completely, and as that happened, one of them started bloating. Then I found one sucked up into the powerhead then a couple days later the second one was dead.
And a few days before THAT the ONE fan worm on the live rock died. Something was definitely up with that tank, and I have no idea what. But the water's gone, sand's gone--everything except the filter, powerhead, heater, etc. I think I'm just going to cool it with the marine fish until I can dedicate more time and energy on them--the first pair was wonderful, but the second pair dying within a few of months of the first was just heartbreaking.