live rock / tank size

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
It depends on the aquascaping you want to achieve, and if you want to use it as the sole purpose of filtering your tank. I have 80lbs of live rock in my 90. Of course its not jammed to the gills, but thats not what i wanted to achieve. For your size tank 20lbs should be enough for biological filtration. Anymore is up to you and your ideas of aquascaping.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
If you buy like 50 pounds ususally my local fish stores lower the price. Can't tell you a "real" good price 'cause i live in canada and we get screwed here. Online prices are low but you can't choose your pieces.
This weekend i saw super prices on "fiji" LR in different stores ( like 4 $ CDN ) but it was basically base rock in water with nothing on or in it. Makes me mad.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Depends on where the stuff comes from. If it was me I'd get 40 pounds or of fiji or vanuatu and I'd get it in big bits so there was only5 or 6 pieces.
Tampa bay stuff assume 2 lbs per gallon, natural 1 pound a gallon. Thats my opinion tho'.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Awesome for some things, not so awesome for others.... pros - aquacultured, typically little dieoff, good diversity.
Cons - bricklike in density, shape, the diversity is typically made up of sponges and bivalves and apparently mantises.
You'll need twice as much TBS as anything else. Some people love it, some hate it. Horses for courses