live rock types...

Aug 18, 2004
Sonora, CA
Visit site
ok...i know this is a newbie question but:

what is the difference between base live rock, and regular ol' live rock? and i also noticed there is ones that you can put in your sump...

is there a huge difference between these? im not really going for looks, or cool organisms (altho, they would be kinda fun) but a really good bio-filtration....any suggestions?

i've been looking at fiji live rock just cuz it's cheaper than most...but is that going to harm me later?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
If your not going for decorative use, live base rock is the way to go. It cost about half of regular live rock.

As you pointed out it is the looks and organisms on the rock that set the price.

Fiji rock is the cheapest of live rock. However it does not lack quality....and will not harm you later.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
agreed...fiji is good stuff...it just isnt as frilly as some of the other types

Base rock is often not "live" however so you need to check into that. If the rock is dry it is definitely not alive...and therefore is worthless as bio filtration. Given time, and some Live Rock that base rock would grow life and serve as a good filter, and for that reason a lot of people with large systems use it in combination with live rock.

furthermore, LR in the sump is no different than live rock anywhere else, it just provides more biofiltration; does your sump have a protein skimmer installed in it already? is it partitioned? without partitions i personally dont think it would be a good idea to run live rock in your sump

are you going to buy online? or at the lps?

Aug 18, 2004
Sonora, CA
Visit site
alright...looks like i will go with some base rock, and maybe i'll get a little bit of "regular" stuff, just to add to it a little bit...but i don't think that i'll need a lot.

the sump is partitioned...im guessing that you just put it in the big part? and im also guessing that you want small pieces in there for bigger surface area?

our lps wants to sell me live rock for 7.50/lb...i don't know if any of you have read other posts that i have had up here...but i have not enjoyed my LPS thus far, so i plan on buying it online...even if i have to do some curing. i have found some places that claim to have the rocks pre-cured....is that any good? or will i hafta do a little bit before i add it to my tank...

seeing as how i am just starting out...do i need to worry about curing it in a separate tank? or should i let it sit in our main (and only tank) for a few weeks until the chemicals in the water balance out?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
well...personally I would not put the base rock i the sump. Reason being why? It does the same job in the display part of the tank and will fill it out better. At 7.50 a pound the rock is a rip off...get it online. Pre-cured rock is a good choice, however it runs a little more. If there is anything in your tank, you will want to put the rock in a seperate container for the curing process.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Fiji is often expensive and very good, though it is variable. Vanuatu is very good.
The worst I have seen is the aquacultured stuff from Florida. Great livestock, but dense as bricks

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
pretty much, then you do a lot of water changes to get all that crap out of there and get a clothes pin for your nose ;)

of course, if your tank doesnt already have inhabitants in it, you can just put the rock straight in and use the die off to start your cycle...this is what i have done on my two setups