Live Rock vs Live Sand

beermanic

Medium Fish
Feb 5, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Does anyone know, is there any difference in the organisms found in live rock and live sand?

Given time, I know that live rock will produce other live rock. So by introducing normal rock to live rock the organisms will eventually spread to all the rock. Is this also true to the sand or does the sand have vastly different organisms and the only way to reproduce good live sand is by buying a small amount of live sand and having it spread that way.

I was hoping that the live rock would provide everything I need and 6 months down the road everything will be live.

Experienced advice is very helpful.

*celebrate

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
You can benefit from both. Live sand will seed your tank with the necessary organisms you need while live rock will usually have the critters already in the rock pores. I would suggest to get actual live sand from a running tank or buy it from LFS. GARFgrunge from www.garf.org can supply good live sand activator. I would only use a 1-2 pounds per 15 gallons and sift it! It tends to have alot of large rocks parts. Its very good IMO from what I've used. I also stir it slightly into the top layer of sand. You can also place some of coralline algae pieces on your rocks to make it spread over your rocks. Usually about 15-30 days later you'll start to see lifeforms in your rocks, mainly at night when the lights go out. Trust me though, I've seen many strange things crawling in the rocks also!