Live Rock!!!

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Ok, yes yamahaguy is back again with another thread, what a shocker *PEACE!*

Well ok I have a couple questions about live rock. I am on my way to cleaning mine and getting it to look normal (I hope). How brutal(ruff) can I get with it? I never really knew what I could do with it, like will I kill it if I put it in a five-gallon bucket with my tank water and just start scrubbing. Should I just put it in a bucket and swoosh it around through the water?? What are my Dose’s and don’ts ?
Thanx… *twirlysmi

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
just algea dude, but some mean algea. I would use a tooth brush but I have a lot of live rock..I'm thinkin like an algea srub brush or sumthin. But I just don’t know how aggressive I can get with it.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
yah, the most important stuff is the bacteria and microorganisms living on the rock...but there are so many little crevices and such you don't have to worry about killing them...if you come across some little dusters or sponges or something you might try to be gentle with them, but that hair algae i wouldn't worry about. and definitely do it outside the display tank in a bucket so you can avoid having the algae float around in your tank and spread :)

once you get it all cleaned off well and your filter set up the way you want you might spend a few dollars on some hermit crabs and snails to help keep the algae away