live sand life expectancy?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
atm ive got about 60-80lbs of live sand in my 125g wich is currently FOWLR .... after the move in a few weeks it will be setup as a reef and id like to go with a dsb so i was looking to add another 100 or so lbs... the sand i already have in there is 2 years old... i guess my question is how long does live sand stay good for? does it need to be replaced?? or should i rinse it???

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
just make sure you rinse it in saltwater as you don't want to kill any of the beneficial bacteria etc. I understood that you don't even need to rinse it....and that most sandbeds just need to be rejuvenated and more sand added as it disolves eventually over time. I think mine needs to be re-innoculated with fauna as my gobie has probably eaten everything that was in it....

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
it though live sand never needs to be replaced...

my sand has lots of "junk" in it and it seems to be take my nassirous snails 4ever to clean it. also i havent seen the biggest one for months now...is he by any chance at the bottom of my tank cleaning?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
you don't need to replace live sand but you do need to replenish it as it will disolve over time and if you have gobies they will eat anything that is in there as far as life goes.....so re-innoculating your dsb yearly isn't a bad idea

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the reason i ask is cause i was told by a few members of my local reef club well heres a quote
After a year of a tank, especially if it is your first tank and/or you're new to the hobby, or you bought the tank from someone else, your tank is likely to have collected a TON of over-fed dropped food, poop, etc in the sand, and all that stuff that sits in it and works its way down will eventually cause problems with nitrates and phosphates seeping into the tank. I know most people will say that it takes a lot longer than a year, but if you're moving your tank now, it's just easier to do it when you're moving the tank than do it in a year or a few when you really need to do it. I firmly believe that even with proper vacuming and a good cleanup/sand stiring crew, your sandbed will still hold nutrients in it, and eventually leak them back out. Almost anyone with an older tank has gone through it, especially if they overfed or didn't take proper care of the sand bed from the beginning.

All i'm saying, is that it's just good practice to clean it out, and if you've got the tank out and are moving it, why not just hose the sand down and let any accumulated crud run out of it, then just reseed it with a bag or two of your old sand. I just did this last week with a friend's tank when she moved it from someone else's place to hers, figured we might as well do it if the tank is empty then, since it won't be for a long while.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Basically the question you're asking is the big one, 'do deep sand beds have a finite load and lifespan, and do they cause tank crashes?'. My answer is yes, not necesserily and not necceserilly.
The sand itself can stay good for a long time. Was this from a bag , like caribsea or similar. There wasn't much bacteria in there in the first place, and certainly no larger orgs that might be eaten. I guess the only problem is you could get a particular concentration of certain bacteria against others, but that is not likely a huge problem for you.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok so what do you say just use my old sand and add some more to make a dsb??? or start from scratch and just use a little of the old stuff to resend???

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
by taking it off, the denitrifying bacterias will deplete due do new oxygen levels..but they will "repopulate" in a while.
When i switched my 55 to my 80, i added brand new sand...the same critters are now crawling..like zillions of red spag worms, nerite snails, pods...a lot of those critters hide in the LR so they seeded..but i had to change my substrate, i had extra large sized CC..
So it's not mandatory to take your old sand, can help if it's clean..
Oh yeah Lorna, since my 5 inches DSB is only a couple of months old, i only recently noticed nitrogen bubbles...pretty neat!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes....I often see my diamond gobie taking a mouthfull of sand and a big nitrogen bubbles to the surface....you can see the bubbles around the edge in the substrate through the glass. I am a strong supporter of the dsb as I find it more esthetically pleasing and I like all the critters that come with it...