Live sand ?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
im getting ready to add sand and my LR to my tank and was shopping around for live sand.. i know that it will get stuff from the rocks but i wanna get it anyways.. my question is all the places that i have found around me sells it in bags and it looks really dried out and has been sitting on the shelf for awhile.. question being wouldn't everything in there be dead from getting dry or would there still be stuff living in there? any info would be great thanks!

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Dunno may have an expiration date.
If it's 100% dry well it can be like dead live rock.
My substrate is very well alive, and if i wanted i could put some in a bag and put it on a shelf, let the stuff rot, and sell it for good $$$...
See my point.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I've read in many places that it's not needed. You can save a lot of money just by adding live rock. If you know someone with an established heathly tank steal some of theirs. If money isn't a concern go to liveaquaria.com or alike sites, and order some that is guarenteed to be good.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i found a few places around today when i was calling that are selling 20lbs of live sand for 24.99 so its not to expensive i will only really need 2 1/2 bags for a 2" sandbed. so i figure i can get 2 bags and then 1 bag of regular sand and it should be fine.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Are you referring to live sand being live with bacteria like arga-alive or live sand with micro crustations and all those cod things I haven't seen yet. The live sand with bacteria is far cheaper and I added one bag of that to my tank, but the rest of my sand is 1 bag of argonite reef and rest is white marine sand. Liveaquaria has live sand with worms and crustations in it, but it's like 70. Back to you question, if you wash the sand won't you wash away the bacteria?

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
I don't see how you could "wash away" the bacteria. I mean if you rinsed sand in boiling water than sure. I always rinse the sand from the bags, it makes life easier. If you don't rinse it then floating particles just have to be removed from the tank. Well that's my opinion.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
There are many pros and cons for rinsing sand and substrate. "live sand" shouldn't be rinsed even with salt water.....though who would waste good salt mix to rinse sand with.....otherwise are you rinsing it with fresh water? if so you are rinsing good stuff down the drain. All that small particulate that is in the sand is beneficial to building a good working deep sand bed. If you are just adding 1-2 inches for looks alone then by all means rinse it.....if you are building a dsb then don't rinse it....you want all that fine sand in the bed.......