Live Sand??

Toggil

Large Fish
Jun 10, 2006
Endicott NY
I don't know much about SW aquariums but I read a lot of the posts in this section because I definately want to try it someday. Today I was at work talking with a guy who has 2 55 gal SW tanks, and he said he bought live sand and live rock for one of them. I've never heard anything about live sand before, has anyone else? Just something I was curious about.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
yah, live sand is pretty common. it is essentially the same idea as live rock. people often end up buying a lot of this stuff unnecessarily, instead, you can buy dry sand and add a cup or so of live sand and you will eventually get the same effect. Alternatively, you can also just let the live rock seed the live sand (that is what i did)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes. The theory is (and it works) that rather than using a filter with dedicated media, you are better of using a sand bed with a healthy and rich culture of bacteria and other organisms in it to do your filtration.

But the vast majority of bagged live sand sold is pretty much dead. Aquarists will spend money on most anything

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I agree with with the above comments, if you did decide though to go and purchase the LS then make sure to check the experation date as its shelf life is stated to be 1yr. I recall being in one LFS and they were trying to sell this stuff and I looked at the date and it was alread a month past the experation.

Toggil

Large Fish
Jun 10, 2006
Endicott NY
Well if i understood him correctly, it sounded like he ordered this online and had it shipped to him, some from the gulf of mexico and some from some other place in florida. He was also talking about some special setup with eggcrates below the sand, can't really remember what he said though.