Live sand....

urdi

New Fish
Mar 10, 2003
San Antonio
Visit site
I could I use to clean and/or filter live sand...I heard that hermits are good, but they will tear apart the live rock as well, and I wanted to avoid that....any ideas?

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Hermits won't tear apart the live rock, some will pick on certain corals though. Personally, I like the small blue legged hermits.....they don't have the reputation of killing snails for their shells, and the ones I have don't seem to bother anything.....

As far as your sand, conchs are good....fighting or queen conchs (although I forgot to mention in another thread that queen conchs will eventually outgrow just about any tank and must be traded in when they get too large for your tank). Most of the critters that keep your sand clean, like various worms, pods, and small brittlestars will arrive on your live rock and seed the sand, or you may have to buy a starter kit or get some sand from an established tank.

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
My experience with blue legged hermits is much different from toodles's. My blue leggs have killed quite a few snails and 2 fighting conchs. I actually witnessed one of the conchs being carried off by a blue legged hermit.
I would recommend scarlet legged hermits. I also have these and have not seen any aggression from them.
JMHO
Brian

Last edited:

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
As the hermits get bigger, they will start to approach snails and fish. Any crab will do this. You can place some empty shells to alleviate the snail attacks to some extent. My crabs have yet to go after snails after about 4 months. Plus the bigger the snails or conchs the better. Crabs can't really get to them.