LiveRock Dead or alive? Got lost in the mail!!! CAN IT BE SAVED?

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
I bought Some good live rock from this guy(25 lbs) that he had it in his tank for 2yrs. and he is selling it because he is going back to freshwater i think he is(dumb dumb dumb dumb) but thats what I have to say about it.

But aways the rock was lost in the mail thanks to the USPS for 11 days and I need to know what to do with it.
Im getting it in the morning. I have a 40 gal tank that I have had running for 10 days now waiting on it to get here so that I can make sure it is healthy before I put in in my show tank. should I go ahead and put it in the tank or is it all dead? It was shipped in water and paper towels CAN IT BE SAVED???

PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!!! thanks

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
buy a rubbermaid tub and fill it with saltwater, put a powerhead and a heater in there and let it simmer for a few weeks, this process is called 'curing' its what most people do when they get new live rock that may potentially have some die off that is soon to occur because of shipping and whatnot ;)

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Most of the bacteria should be okay. Yes...you will need to cure it like Phantomfe3 said. I wopuld wait at least 3 weeks before adding it to your system.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
wow...that sucks about the usps....but, as mentioned, if it stayed wet it should be pretty good, just needs cured. If it is dried up on the outside I wouldn't give up...there is probably still some stuff that made it through on the inside so stick it in a rubbermaid and hope