livestock under 13watts

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
what kind of coral/clams can i have under a 13 watt 50/50 10k and Actinic 03 Blue.

if its not enough for a Maxima or Crocea Clam then i might be willing to crack open the hood and install a second 13 watt light.

2 X 13w in a 5-6g tank

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am border line on my crocea and I have 596 watts (300 w m/h and 296 w pc) over a 75g tank....

I would not recommend any clam in a 5-6g as the water parameters are too tight and clams do not like any type of fluctuations.....corals you are probably limited to softies and a few less demanding lps'.....such as frogspawn etc

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i'll try to do a extreme mod on the hood looks getto and fat right now.

i'll worry about the water when i get to it.

i have a GX23 type hood...and the highest watt bulb i can find is 27 watts...

does anyone have any suggestions or upgrade?
i dont want to hang 3 of thos bulbs over my tank and i dont think the ballast can handle that kind of wattage.

Last edited:

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
It's not about people being negative, it's about doing what's right and humane in this hobby. The recommendations that you don't attempt these specimens is to save you some money and most importantly save these specimens from certain death.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Sticking mucho light over a small tank like that is always going to give you temperature problems, else you could just use sunlight. If you want something a bit different some of the LPS that require manual feeding would be possible, combined with many water changes to get you round the water quality problems that feeding will cause.
I would be shy of trying to replicate some very adventurous, advanced aquarists like melev if you really aren't sure of what you're trying to do. Alternatively try to find the thread in reefcentral.com on Anthony Calfos nano. 2*36 watt pc's + 100% weekly water changes works very, very well ona 5 gallon.