Lobsters

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Does anyone have a lobster in their tank, and if so, could you post a few pics of it/them? I'm curious to see how well lobsters do.

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
Crayfish will pretty much eat anything they can catch. They're slow, so most fish can get out of the way, but if a fish swims by within reach it could get caught. They look cool, but personally I wouldn't put them in a tank unless it's a big tank and most of the fish are top-dwellers.

Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
you'd be surprised what a crayfish can catch. i had one for about 3 years in a 20g, and by the end, he was kept alone. he caught a half dozen zebra danios during a few months in a setup with them, and you're hard pressed to find faster fish for a 20g-sized tank! the only fish that survived with him long-term was a very big, very mean male blue gourami, but i wouldn't even recommend keeping something like that with a crayfish. best to keep them in a species tank, maybe with some inexpensive fish like guppies that breed a lot, so the cray keeps the pop in control.

although, i'd bet he wouldn't eat fish you *want* him to eat. ;)

Exevious

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2003
North Dallas, Texas
Visit site
Ive had good luck.. But I have lots of space in my tank.
The pictus have had a chunk of tail fin snatched in the beginning but they learned to watch out.... they still love to hang around while the crawfish munch on pieces of weekend feeders.

My red-eye dont have trouble with them, but they are all about 1.5 - 2 inches.

And nothing messes with the cichlids.... they are pretty smart fish.

I would think neons could stay away... But you would need space for them to stay away. Anything under 20 g might be too small.

I wouldnt recommend mixing them lazy fish like plecos and algae eaters... Only for the reason that those fish shouldnt have to deal with the stress of being hunted.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2005
North of the 49th Parallel
dethjam316 said:
you'd be surprised what a crayfish can catch. i had one for about 3 years in a 20g, and by the end, he was kept alone. he caught a half dozen zebra danios during a few months in a setup with them, and you're hard pressed to find faster fish for a 20g-sized tank! the only fish that survived with him long-term was a very big, very mean male blue gourami, but i wouldn't even recommend keeping something like that with a crayfish. best to keep them in a species tank, maybe with some inexpensive fish like guppies that breed a lot, so the cray keeps the pop in control.

although, i'd bet he wouldn't eat fish you *want* him to eat. ;)
You've just given me a great idea for my g/f's mollie & plattie laden tank. At least one fish is pregnant at all times.