Lockjaw?

Anike

Medium Fish
May 26, 2003
Visit site
I have a betta that cannot close his mouth. I'm unsure how long he's been like this but I only noticed the oddity a couple days ago and it finally dawned on me that this is an issue. He eats well and his mouth is not gaping, but it's definitely parted all the time. This is a new problem to me and one that I have not found an answer to treating yet. I don't want the poor guy to suffer. Any help, please?

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
hmmm, never heard of a betta with lock-jaw... my bettas do strange things from time to time, and ive seen one hold his mouth open when he sees the other bettas shadow through the partition, but i guess thats more for territory purposes. all i can say is watch him. if he can eat and function normaly then i wouldnt worry too much about it. :D

Anike

Medium Fish
May 26, 2003
Visit site
OMG my betta is going to die. *wail* I've read about pond fish like koi getting lockjaw and the suggested thing to do was to "massage their mouth" and try to get the mouth aligned again. -_-

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Three out of four times such fish have foreign body lodged in the mouth.. The remaining cases usally have an ulcer or sore on the roof of the mouth.

Examine the mouth and if you find a foregn object gently push it forward and out of the mouth through the gill cover.. In the case of an ulcer carefully swab with hydrogen peroxide making sure you don't get it on the gills.

Scoop him out in a shallow bowl, giving him enough water to feel secure, but shallow enough that you can treat him. See if this helps. I don't have any other solutions at present, so I hope he will be alright, do let us know how he is doing.

marie

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
Wow.. OUT of the mouth THROUGH the gill cover? Now, *common sense kicks in* wouldn't be a pain in the ass to try to get the object out?

I'd say if it looks like he's eating well, and isn't starving, leave him be for a bit.

And Bettas always have thier mouths open partway anyway. Does it look painful?

Anike

Medium Fish
May 26, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, silly me Velvet. After reading your assurance that bettas have their mouth partway open, I ran and checked all mine. It's true but it's barely noticeable; two of my bettas are marbles and have different colored splotches in their head area so it's hard to notice. The one that I was concerned about does have a larger part in his mouth than the others but since he's eating and acting well, I'm not worrying about it.

You try to pay close attention to your little guys and then once in a while, I guess you notice something different to you that's actually pretty normal! Does anyone actually take their fish to the vet? Not that it sounds ridiculous to me, but I haven't heard of such. Wouldn't that be sad, me urgently dashing to the vet's with my little bagged betta imploring the vet to do something? If something was lodged in my betta's mouth and I had to get it out, I'd be afraid of causing him more harm by the physical handling- maybe koi, but bettas are so small that if it came to that, I'd just go sniffling to the vet's while the people there waiting with their dogs and cats look at me funny!