Lonely Platy?

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Hello!

One of my platies died and now I just have one :( Will he be okay? He seems to swim with the mollies some of the time but I think he might be lonely. Should I get another?

Thank you x x x*twirlysmi

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
They prefer to be kept in groups but I don't think it will be a huge deal if you have other livebearers for it to hang out with. You can always get 1 or 2 more of the same gender if you have room. However, I don't know how many gallons 90 L is, so you'd better use aqadvisor.com/

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Well I'm moving in a couple of weeks, which will be a job in itself, so I think maybe I'll wait until then to get him a pal. No I don't know how to tell them apart?! I don't know if mine is a girl or boy! The platy is a beautiful bright orange, I'd like to get one to clash lol!

Lauraf you still crack me up! x x x x

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Cammie, do you know what the anal fin is on a fish? That's the one that is, well, near the poophole.
Anyhoo, to sex your livebearers you look at the anal fin. A male platy will have one that is thin, straight, and close to its body. A female will have a full, almost fan-like anal fin, unless she is stressed and keeping the fin tightened up.
They are really easy to tell apart from each other.
Good idea to wait for your move to buy any other fish. Your platy will be just fine meanwhile. Do you have your move strategy in place for the tank and fishies?
Cheers,
Laura

Last edited:

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Thank you for that, hold on.....she's a girl!

Anywho, my plan for moving:
My LFS is giving me some bags and a special box to carry the fish in which is good, so I will put them in there to keep them warm. Then I was planning to keep about 50% of the water (transport this in bottles) and then keep the gravel in the tank with just a little bit of water in there to keep the bacteria alive and the same with the filters, keep them wet.
Once I've got to my in-laws(yes I'm moving in with my in-laws!) I will set up the tank, add the existing tank water and then top up with declorinated water. I will then keep the fish in their bags for about 20 minutes,floating in the tank to calm down and release them back into their tank. Keep the lights off for a couple of hours.

Does that sound okay? It's a massive job and to be honest, the most important one to us at the moment, we don't want to lose anyone:p

x x x x