Long Distance

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
3 miles isnt that far.... just be sure to make the ride as smooth as you can and make sure there is a bit of water in the bag along with a good amount of air. For example when I purchase fish they are usually in the bag for a half hour to 45 minutes tops (isnt that I live far, its just thats when I usually get out of work, drive home, from the time I bought them, then start the acclimation)

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
The longer the distance, the more air you'll want. If you are unsure about your distance, just have the employee bag it in a bigger bag. There is usually nothing to worry about. I go 14 miles from the LFS that I work at, usually 30-35 minute drive, then I acclimate a few minutes after I've been home, just as Ryan does.

Joe Fish said:
I average between 5 miles to one LFS and about 20 to an other. I've never had an issue yet. I assume you would want to keep the temp in your car reasonable if it's going to be a long drive, right?
See after getting the fish I will be on the train and then getting a ride to go home. It usually takes me about an hour total.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Should be no problem. Just ask the lfs to pump a good amount of O2 into the water in the bag......and acclimate the fish as soon as possible once you get home.

You need to take in consideration of the tme the train comes. By the time I get there I have to wait 10-15 minutes for the train then I wait about 15 minutes to get to my stop. Then I wait 5 minutes to get in the car and then it is about a 1 minute rde. So:

5 minute walk from store to train
15 minute wait for train
15 minute wait til stop
5 minute wait for car
10 minute ride home
50 Minutes

Well I cant walk without going over three train tracks over a huge hill and climbing a tree and hopping a fence. And that cuts it down by a good mile and a half. But thats cop haven and you cant cross the tracks or hop fences in that area because they think I am breaking into someones house.

On walking 3 mph I Jay walk to get to the train on time. And i have to be careful bout the cops.