Looking for a fish with substance

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Okay, folks, here's the deal:

I currently have a planted 75 gallon aquarium. In this glass box lives a dozen Rummy-Nose Tetras, 5 Dangila Danios, 3 Otocinclus, 4 SAE, 2 Rubber-Lip Pl*cos, and a couple of Upside-Down catfish that were given to me and I rarely see.

I want something with some substance to it, and was thinking of perhaps adding some gouramis of some kind. Any suggestions?

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
(Does a quick glance through Innes' Exotic Aquarium Fishes Copyright 1966)

(Decides Google may be better suited for this day and age)

Thanks, Leopardess. They are incredible! Is it possible to keep more than 1 per tank. If so, both male, both female, or a pair?

Apr 11, 2003
Phx,AZ
Visit site
I like opaline gouramis, how big are you rummy noses if they are small i would be concerned that the would be gourami food.

Edit: hehe you posted rigt in front of me, i would have 1 or more than two this is because some can be mean but if you have three the nips will be spread between the two.

Last edited:

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Thanks, rocketshrimp. I checked out some gourami links from Google, and now I'm beginning to re-think this idea (for this tank anyway) because of temperament/attitude problems. I'm still wanting something with a less torpedo-like shape to compliment what I have already. Any other suggestions?

I made a bad saltwater choice some years ago that turned out to be somewhat disastrous (at least for the first 2 victims), and expensive (for the same reason). I don't want to make a similar mistake again.

Edit: I want something that will get to be about 6" when mature.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I know they don't get to 6", but I have been happy with livebearers like swordtails and platies in my community tanks. They are nice and bright and very peaceful. We even occasionally get a fry that survives without any help from us. I know a lot of people think livebearers aren't cool, but their bright colors really added a lot of zip to our tank.

The other thing that really spiced up our tanks are loaches. Dojos, yoyos and kubotai (angelicus) all have great personalities and add a lot of activity. Yoyos are a little more aggressive (than dojos, for example), but we haven't had any problems with bullying at all.

Anyway, just a couple of suggestions for adding something to your tank. :)

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Leopardess, that's where I was yesterday when I started this thread. Let me see if I have this straight:

(1) Multiple females of the same species can get along, but aren't typically as colorful.

(2) Males are territorial, aggressive a**holes to each other and potentially dangerous to females after they breed (hmmm, now that I think about it, I know some humans who fit that description as well).

Do males of different species (or varieties as in 3-spot, blue, etc.) get along as a rule?

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Lotus:

I guess I was typing the above response to Leopardess when you posted yours. Thanks for the suggestions. I've never been much of a fan of livebearers, but I have been thinking about some loaches (got snails!). I used to have a couple of Kuhlii loaches when I was a kid, but I don't recall seeing any lately.

Having said that, Endlers are way cool though (only saw them for the first time a couple of weeks ago) I could imagine a 10 gallon species tank with those little guys.