Looking for decor for my tank

Jun 1, 2003
Riverbank, California
Visit site
My tank is now pretty stable, but I think I'm going to stick with a fish only tank for now, since this is my first saltwater tank. It's a 55 gallon, info is in my signature. I'm not ready for live rock or anything, definitely not for inverts or coral, but I do want some decor cuz my tank is a little plain. I dont want any fake coral, or fake plants, or cheesy looking castles etc, Should I just get some large river rock, or lava rock, and glue pieces together for hiding places for my fish? Please give me some ideas, because I sure need them! Thanks....
Jeff

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
Why are you not ready for live rock? There really isn't any special requirements for having live rock. It is simply a place for bacteria to inhabit and for fish to hide. If you want to grow coraline algae on the rock, you just need to keep the calcium level at a minimum of 350 IMHO. I would not use any other rock in a SW tank except base(lace, etc) rock. River and other rocks can include chemicals which may harm your inhabitants.

Brian

Aug 13, 2003
indiana
Visit site
the river rock is the worst thing you can do its great in freash water but in salt due to the ph being soo high and the salinty it will leach out minreals the best thing to do is start with base rock you can add that and than get some intermittenance rock and add that{this can be done at the same time just make shure the rock sits on the glass so critters dont dig under and cause the rock to fall at 0300 AM. in the morning [CRASH AND FLOOD] than at your leasure you can add live rock