Looks Like Trouble...and I need help.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Just last night I was feeding my two guppy fry when I noticed tiny, white, lint-like creatures crawling like catterpillers around on the breeder trap :eek:. I'm immediately removed the fry to a small cup and went and rinsed the trap out with hot water. I didn't use soap because this is the only thing I have to separate my fry from the adults and I didn't want any missed soap getting in to my tank. Afterwards I put the trap back in my tank and placed the fry in there as well.

The problem is that these lint-things are back (not as many), but they're back. I'm sure they're swimming around in the water of my tank. What I need to know is what they are and how to get rid of them because I'm quite sure they're not friendly to fish. I'm planning to do a major water change tomorrow to see if that will help. If you have any other suggestions please help me and my fishy friends. Thanks.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I did some research on planeria. Which is what this thing might be. Can anyone tell me for sure? It's tiny, white, crawls like a catterpiller, and seems to only be on the breeder. I'm pretty sure I've been over feeding my two fry. So planeria might be my problem. But also the other day I had to flush a guppy that had a parasite, so I don't know if this is the same thing or not.

As these things get longer they look like hair that moves. Some sort of nematode possibly or is that what planeria is? Thanks to your quick reply. Anymore help will be most appreaciated

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
discus4everGrl said:
you may find a fish for your tank that will eat the little buggers. If you cut back on feeding for a day or two of the main tank, the other fish will probably do just that.
yepp...feed less...hoover more...

i have 16 fry in a 3gall tank...
i'm guilty of overfeeding...
as i noticed a lot of debris on the bottom this morning...

instantly i hoovered...and got ready for a water change...
i'm doing 10% every other day on both my tanks...

gotta smash those pesky parasites... *crazysmil

good luck on the war against unwanted critters... :)

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Thanks guys. That's great to know. I have noticed the adults hanging around the breeder picking at the sides and bottom. I'll follow what you said and hopefully I can get ride of these guys.

I don't exactly vacumm and clean as often as I should. I try to do it once a month if not twice. Like I said though I do plan on doing it today and hopefully I can get into a better habit of cleaning.

How do you recomend I feed two fry? I have just touched my finger to the food and put what was on my finger in the water. I guess I need a new better way of doing that, but what? Thanks again.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
ummm maybe half a finger? lol I go by what I see them eat...if they get a small particle or two and I see them eat it, thats enough imo maybe do that two times a day in the a.m. and the p.m. They are so tiny I would do it that way. I feed my fish a tiny snack in the morning and a heartier meal in the evening. Just make sure you WATCH your fish when they are fed to see that everyone gets a bite.