Loose Silicone Seals

Oct 15, 2006
Two years ago, after my dad finished the pond and moved the koi to the pond, HE BLEACHED THE TANK!!! :(
Well, I am very eager to get the tank started back up again for some tropical community, and I realized the silicone is very loose.
There are no more traces of bleach, but the silicone and "flappy" at the edges. I can poke it with my finger and it will go up at the edges.
The middle, however, is very firm.
Should I reseal this with aquarium silicone? Or is it good enough? If I reseal it, do I need to get rid of the existing silicone, or do I just put a new glob around all of it?

EDIT:
The tank was manufactured by All-Glass in 09/02/1991 M/d/y

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
Well, what I would do is fill it up about 1/4 of the way so that you get enough water pressure on the seams so you can see if it will hold water. If it doesn't leak then it is up to you on whether or not you want to change the seal on it. There is a fair chance that it will hold water but if you are pretty unsure about the quality of the seal then the way you would go about fixing that is first you would have to clean the old sealant off very very well, some people say that the only thing that will get it all off good enough is alcohol or some sort of cleaning product like that. Once you are sure that it is cleaned well enough and dry with no oily residue or anything then you can proceed to reseal it. If you just reseal over the old stuff it will not adhere to it so cleaning it is essential. Well I hope this helps. Have fun.

Oct 15, 2006
I scraped off almost all the seal. Do I need to do the seal under the top frame? or can I leave that alone?
Also, after I clean it up completely, do I need to add the tape, or can I work without it?

Oct 15, 2006
Hey MAHA I checked the link you gave me, and today, my parents went to get a tube of GE Silicone I
It does not look like the one in the picture of the link, and it says its not to be used where FDA compliances is needed or for aquariums. Is it still safe? It says GE Silicone I so I was thinking it was.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I called the GE 24 hours help line and asked them about it. They said that as the product dries it releases Ammonia, that would contaminate the water. I asked if once the product is dry would it be safe. He did not have an answer for it. I asked that when the product is dry it is 100% silicone. He said ya. I know that people have used it before in their tank. I will do some research on the web and see what I can find out.

MAHA

Oct 15, 2006
okay, thanks,.. I think it will work. Also, I will let it sit for 7 days before I test it, I want it fully bonded and cured, just in case something bad happens after the whole tank is settled with water and stuff...

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Here is a link to another fish board that has has this same question. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21234&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Here is another http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19321&highlight=ge+silicone

From what I have read GE Silicone I is the way to go. I would let it cure for a week like you said. GE wont say Safe for fish Cause if they do and you prove that it was their product then they will have to pay out money.

I am planning to use GE Silicone I for some decor in my tanks.

MAHA