Losing snails...

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
in the beginning i had 6 snails....and 4 hermit crabs. (i also have the sand sifting snails but too hard to count...)

now i can only find 3 snails and 4 hermits...

yesterday i noticed a hermit crab in one of my snails shell... i was like :eek:

i tired throwing in some sells but they dont seem to like it every much...it looks great with the coral line covering them too.

iv seen snails at my LFS grow to the size of my fist :eek: *twirlysmi

should i just leave it as it is and get some more shells?

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
yup... hermits will take a snail shell for them to use when their current one is too small, and they dont care if there is a snail already in it... the best thing is to have some spare shells in the tank of various sizes(assuming the are differnt sizes) if they are all about the same size, then just get bigger shells for all of them

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I read a lot of reports of hermits killing snails just for kicks, too. Try to make sure the hermits are well fed and have a nice selection of new shells. Some types of hermits are more likely to kill snails than others. I have the dwarf blue hermits, which are supposedly too small (most of the time) to kill snails. I do have one snail killer, who has since been moved to the quarantine tank.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
im planning to buy more shells when i get the chance...

thos snails arent cheap T.T

i'll probably keep only 3 or 4 snaills at most.

and transporting 2 snails (sandsifter and turbo) and 1 hermit to a 3g

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
yeah i was planning to ask the manager hes really nice. but theres also this really cut girl their too (she was all over my ID looking for my name) XD.

anyways im pretty sure they'll give it to me for free. but im also getting some LS and LR.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
havent seen any but i'll keep an eye out.

dont think i will get any...cuz well back then when i got just water and LR i added salt (SG too low.) so im pretty sure it killed everything...

but i added a big bag of chaeto so one might have gotten in...