lost a platy

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
I bought 5 platies Wednesday. One died 3 hours after getting in the tank (domino platies) but it didn't act right very quickly. They are the first fish to be added to the 46G bowfront. All water parameters tested in normal range. I added 3 female red wagtails yesterday afternoon since the others appeared to be too high ration of males. Last night one of the dominos started acting funny.....laying on the bottom and then swimming very fast through out the tank, then floating to the bottom.....finally dying. No visible marks on the fish. I went ahead and did a 30% water change, although the water tested okay. This morning all seem well. Does anyone have an idea what may have happened to the domino platy? Does the behavoir indicate anything in particular?
Sapphire

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Your fish are dying due to ammonia spike. As rule your never introduce more than three or four fishes at once espcially to medium sized tank. Then you must wait atleast a week (conservative estimate) before introducing anymore fishes.

I know your said that your water parameter were good. Could you post the actual data. Many beginner are lulled into thinking that their tank has completed cycling due to misinterpretation of reading.

Rohn

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I dont think the tank has cycled...but I also don't think that 7 small fish in a 46G is going to make an ammonia spike that would kill your fish this quickly.

Are you using drop test kits or test strips. It definitely helps to hear the real numbers of your test results if you could post them.

My biggest guess is that the stress of adding some new fish to the tank did it...but it was probably sick from when you put it in on Wednesday and it died of the same thing the original one did. Usually if I fish dies within a week of putting it in my tank and I am pretty darn sure I did everything right....then I blame it on them being sick or starved etc from the store/shipping.

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
FroggyFox, I do think that fish was not in good health since it was acting funny from the start. I have lost only one more (as I stated above) but I also added some and all are doing well. I only have the 5 in 1 test strips but all ranges are showing to be normal. I plan to get the water type test kits next as I see lots of folks recommend them. I had no idea when I got the 5 in 1 test strips the pet store recommeded. Live and learn!
I got one blue Mickey Mouse platy and I am amazed at how pretty it is in the aquarium as compared to the store tank. Wish I'd gotten more of them. Maybe I can later.
I want to add a catfish of some kind in the future but waiting to let the tank be sure and settled before I invest too heavily in fish. I did do a 30% water change Friday evening as it had been a week since setting up the tank. My 5 y/o grand daughter was here to help and she is truly facinated with "our" fish.....LOL Of course that was the purpose in having the tank.....for myself and the grandkids. Can't wait for the 3 y/o grandson to see it!
Sapphire

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
I really love doing things for the g'kids and then when they leave I can relax and watch the fishes :)
That blue platy is really eye-catching in the aquarium.....I HAVE to have more of them!