lots and lots of poo

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
ok so its almost every day ive been doing little water changes to get rid of all that poo the Oscars leave, i love the little guys and its worth it to change it everyday to me but do you think cleaning all the poo everyday could be a bad thing? btw for some reason the nitrates and trites are still at zero... well the nitrites had a little boost today but not much, how long should i have to wait before nitrates take its toll, i mean before it cycled they were high but not anymore, do you think getting rid of the poo everyday has something to do with it?

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I don't know that cleaning out the fish poo will slow down the cycle as they produce other waste too. Besides, you may not be able to get every bit of it anyway.

I'd say go ahead and clean it as you are watching the water params anyway.

DarthPadre

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2009
If your question is - Will cleaning the tank/changing water every day minimize Nitrates to where you see little result on the test? Yes, absolutely. If you don't mind cleaning it as much as you do, I don't think the tank will mind much either. You did say it already cycled, right? Now you can "clean" too much and kill beneficial bacteria, so try not to move too much substrate when you do clean.