Lots of Brown Algae

SKiboyOO7

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
There is a thick layer of brown (very dark) algae covering most of my tank, my tank has been set up for over a month now, no fish in it. Its a 42 gal hex, my pet store said this is part of the last cycle process, is that correct?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
It's not my sand...it's from pictures that i found on reefcentral
It's diatoms. I had a lot before, and the best way to get rid of it is a RO/DI.
Well i bought a unit and tada....gone. Silica is removed from tap water with a unit and the algae lose power. In one day or 2...did a big water change and no more diatoms.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
This last stage of diatoms to algae can take some 6 months, especially if water conditions are bad or cheap sand is used as the free scilicates in cheap sand will feed the diatom bloom for many months..likewise with the algae stages, if water quality is less than perfect then algae will be a big problem possible for years until the source of the food is discovered.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Diatoms are fueled by silica, and they usually appear when you first cycle the tank. I personally would just leave the tank alone until the silica is consumed and the algae dies off. You could also buy a clean-up crew or do a water change with RO water....up to you.