Low heat emission pumps

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Do you guys know some low emission powerheads/pumps ?
It's 30 degrees celcius ( 86 degrees Fahrenheit ) outside, and my mh + pumps + fluo are so hot. Even with fans + air conditioner yesterday i couldn't stop the temp from going to 83.9 ! Today i cut down the mh hours + fluo..cut only 1 degree. Still too hot. I stopped 2 aquaclear 30 and 201 and the temp went down to 80. They aren't jammed or anything. Those new aquaclear seems hotter than my old school 401, wich are far more powerful. Anyways, i was looking for VERY low heat powerheads. If i could just use like 2 huge ones, like Tunze Turbelle, it would certainly heat less than 5 , right ?
A lot of companies say that their product don't heat much..but does anyone have seen the difference ?? Odd question i know.
It isn't the real summer in here..so i'm getting scared..and my tank can't go topless. For those who think that Montreal is where people lives in igloo , well it's wrong !
35 celcius is summer and minus 35 celcius in winter ;)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I think your best option would be to go with a reverse light cycle for the time being until you figure out the heat issue, run yuor tank lights at night and have them off during the day. With the air conditioner it shouldnt be a problem.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
eliminating some powerheads and replacing them with fewer would help with the heat but i do not know if it would make a significant difference for you. you might consider running a fan which blows across the surface of the tank...it will make evap worse but it should lower the temp a degree or so. honestly, however, 83ish is not going to be a big problem

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
actually when i blew my fans across the water it got worse..all the heat seemed to backfire into the water..tried several positions, angles. Same.
Still i unplugged some powerheads and i have now a 82 steady. It's maintained for now. Yeah i tough about running the light during night..good idea.
Tnx for the help guys

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i had fairly consistent tank temps in the 85 area last summer for a month or so and i did not lose anything...remember at higher temps metabolism speeds up so more waste is generated

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
well...i have baby Kenya Tree and they don't look so good since the heat wave. Closed and all. Nitrates = under 5 ( like 2.5 ), well nitrite/nitrate = 0 , phos = 0 ( might be a little )
salinity = 1.025, Ca = 430, ph 8.2 . Didn't measured hardness but if ph = good + ca = good, should i worry..
Also my bubble coral is growing a lot, but the soft membrane is detaching and i can see clearly the skeleton from behind. He's creating new membrane elsewhere, trying to glue itself on 3 rocks in 3 different positions. He's trying to find the best location, but seeing skeleton is not usually a good sign. Doesn't look sick at all, his skeleton doubles since i bought it, but i still worry.