low kh value, what to do??????

Sep 20, 2010
San Jose, Costa Rica
i ve been testing parameters in my tank and always get a ph of 5 and a kh value of 0 drops(water never does the first color change) gh is 8, what can i do? i have some plants, and been adding co2 as a home made reactor and also just started ussing seachel flourish excell, what can i do to get a better kh value, should i be worried? fishes seem to be doing fine, it´s been like this for about 4 months

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
i ve been testing parameters in my tank and always get a ph of 5 and a kh value of 0 drops(water never does the first color change) gh is 8, what can i do? i have some plants, and been adding co2 as a home made reactor and also just started using seachem flourish excell, what can i do to get a better kh value, should i be worried? fishes seem to be doing fine, it´s been like this for about 4 months
fishes seem to be doing fine + for about 4 months = don't fix what ain't broken.

Just because a reading that's always been that way looks funny to you now is no reason to change parameters. Some people would kill for your soft water.

Speaking of killing, monkeying with the hardness/PH/KH of the water can mess up fish more than having some readings that are a little out of spec for them.

Apistogrammas and Congo Tetras. :D

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes if its fine and fish are happy, you just keep doing exactly the maintenance that you're doing.
are you keeping stuff like angels or tetras? what do you keep?

and what do you mean the test tube water doesnt do the color change for KH? once you add one drop of KH test solution your sample turns yellow right away? it skips the blue phase?

Sep 20, 2010
San Jose, Costa Rica
yes if its fine and fish are happy, you just keep doing exactly the maintenance that you're doing.
are you keeping stuff like angels or tetras? what do you keep?

and what do you mean the test tube water doesnt do the color change for KH? once you add one drop of KH test solution your sample turns yellow right away? it skips the blue phase?
yes, it skips the blue phase
i have barbs, neon tetras, kribensis, cory cats, danios