low ligh coral?

im not a SW guru, but i can tell you first, to read the stickies, and search the forum for low light corals, this has been asked planty of times, and to answer your wattage questions, they would low wattage, since there low light plants. If you want corals, this is just a guesstimate, but you should shoot for at least 50 watts. But idk

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Low light corals include Discosoma (mushroom coral), zoanthids, and many of the leather corals (sarcophyton, etc.).

How many watts you would need isn't necessarily the right question. It depends on how deep the tank is and what type of lights you are using. What size tank is this?

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Well discosoma are the best in low light, zo's and sarco's aren't really true low light as they will sometimes tolerate lower light but can do better under high light. I would also look at various euphyllia species, I have seen torch's grow very well under 'low light' as they don't rely exclusively on photosynthesis for nutrition.
Actually I've seen all sorts of things grow under 'low light', however the systems are providing nonphotosynthetic nutrition thro' the use of natural seawater, massive refugiums.. That might sound cheaper (no pricey lights eh) but man is it tricky to do right... It is far easier to bite the bullet and buy some decent lights (used)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok not to get off topic but all i have in my tank now is zoo's,shrooms,and xenia....what else would be considered a mid light coral???? im looking to add something differant but not sure what would do well in my setup any suggestions???