low light corals

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i have a 20 watt flourescent right now on my 29 gallon--not nearly enough light for anything....i was looking at a 65 watt compact flourescent--would this be enough for some corals? any in particular?

method

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2004
G Deuce, CA
Visit site
hey it seems we're both getting into SW.. i just wanna go out there and blow all my money but i stil got a lot of homework to do. i have an empty 10 with and incandescent hood and i was thinking about gettin' those CORALIFE 50/50 10,000K bulbs from Drs. Foster and Smith.. would those be sufficient to grow some LPS corals? more specifically hammer corals and frogspawn, oo i love those. and some ricordia too.

where you gonna get the 65 watt compact flo's from dbacksrat?

btw, my bad for jackin' yer thread.. i just thought i'd ask a similar question and save some space by not starting a brand new thread.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
be careful starting with a 10 gallon, it has much more potential for disaster than starting with say a 55, go as big as you can, i assume your going with the 10 due to size or monetarial restrictions
Brahm

method

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2004
G Deuce, CA
Visit site
Originally posted by aresgod
be careful starting with a 10 gallon, it has much more potential for disaster than starting with say a 55, go as big as you can, i assume your going with the 10 due to size or monetarial restrictions
Brahm
man have you seen what kinda stuff the guys at nano-reef.com try to pull? they're reefing in little .75 gallon pico's!

i'm very diligent with my water changes and i think i can manage a 10.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
dbacksrat,why dr.fosters and smith.they have got to be the highest on the net.why not bigal's,better prices,better selection,and coustom sea life products are still on sale.oh and bigal's will price match 5%under.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
www.ahsupply.com youve got to build the hood (which is cake) and its real cheap.

most of those guys on nano-reef didn't begin with nanos...they got their proverbial feet in the water on something larger.

as far as low light corals, the Sun Polyp pops into my mind...it is actually a non-photosynthetic (aka "No Light") coral, bear in mind you would have to feed it. With that little amount of light you are limiting yourself a lot...why not get the 2x55 kit from AHsupply and be able to keep most soft corals you would want? its like $100 including bulbs if i recall....just a thought

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
hmm i'll try other places....that fish place seems to be better priced by a couple of dollars....i requested a catalog from big al's, and i got the january one (prices valid to the 31st of jan) on january 30th....i guess i gotta send away for another catalog....building the hood would be easy for me (actually, for my dad) because he builds cabinets and all kinds of other cool things--he built my stand for my 20 gallon fw

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
btw, i know nothing about electrical work--the last time i tryed replacing the flourescents in my bathroom, the whole fixture broke...plus i'd probably electrocute myself...so i just build the hood and attach this kit to the inside? is it that simple?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
its pretty much that simple...it comes with everything you need except a screwdriver...you just use the twist locks for the wires...instructions are easy to follow and everything...if you decide to go that way and are struggling with it, shoot me an email and ill see if i can help you out...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Forget watts per gallon - it's a very poor way to work out what you need. Look at each case on it's own merits and think about it.
Despite what the guys on nanoreef think going to metal halide on little tanks is quite risky. You will invariably get much higher evap rates as the bulbs are hot, and hoods typically aren't used, or are loose fitting. Compacts in the US, T5's in europe.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Compacts, VHO, and regular outputs(in some cases) are fine for smaller aquariums. I had 2x regular 15watt output fluorescents on my 20 gallon reef. My mushrooms and assorted polyps did fine. I upgraded to a Coralife 65watt hood and it works fine.

As for Method, a single 50/50 normal fluorescent light will not support your LPS corals.

Sam Reef