lowering PH.. safe and easy

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
i just added a blue ram cichlid to my community tank and was wondering is there a easy and safe way to lower my ph it is at 7.6 right now. but i was told that blue rams are sensitive to ph levels and they are comfortable around 6.5 so is there a way i can do this with out drastically doing it?

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
okay and i just also read that they do good in soft water. how do i tell if my is soft or hard. i have a master test kit but do i need a different one just for testing hardness and softness in water.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
i have the freshwater master test kit by API (aquarium pharmaceuticals) and it tests for ph, high range ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. that sucks it was like $42.

but still wondering if my blue ram is going to be okay. maybe i should go and get a test for softness and hardness of my water.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Fish will adapt to your water as long as long as you keep it stable, changing it usually is pointless unless it's way off the charts.

Although I would like to hear the answer to your initial question, my water seem to be suiting my GBR's fine for now, but I would like them to breed at some point, so I will need to stabalize the water out for them.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I would normally suggest making your tank a blackwater affair, but you have some livebearers in there as well so I would just stick with the steady parameters you have now.

Truly the rams and many of the other fish you have would really thrive in the blackwater conditions, the livebearers would be less happy. Keep it where it is. Nice happy medium.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
echoofformless said:
I would normally suggest making your tank a blackwater affair, but you have some livebearers in there as well so I would just stick with the steady parameters you have now.

Truly the rams and many of the other fish you have would really thrive in the blackwater conditions, the livebearers would be less happy. Keep it where it is. Nice happy medium.

okay i am still not familar with all the lingo so what is a blackwater affair, or blackwater conditions.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
By black water he means soft and acidic. The acidic part is due to the level of tannins in the water making it tea color. This is considered "black water".

Generally speaking, if you have high PH you have hard or at least semi hard water.

<-------Including my group of those, I have more "black water" species living in Florida water Ph 7.8-8.0 than you can shake a stick at. All are doing fine.\

What you are reading is just the generalist crap that is posted on the net about them. They will do fine in your current water, but eggs will not normally make it and that's "if" they spawn. No need to make any changes. Stability and avoiding extreme levels is more important than "proper levels".

Last edited: