Lowering Ph

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Whats your tap waters PH?
It's better to stick to that than muck about with your levels and have them fluctuating all the time.Even 8.4 is OK if it stays at 8.4 and your fish acclimatize to that.
Having said that your CO2 will eventually(if you don't do water changes)use up all the buffer in your tank and you will get a PH crash.BAD.Keep up with the changes and check ph weekly.

Oct 21, 2005
My Ph is atleast 8.4 that's the highest my kit shows. All of my fish are doing fine except for my female swordtail, I can't figure it out because the male is doing awesome.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
As long as the pH isn't fluxuating, you should look for some other symptoms or issues with your water to figure out what is wrong with the female.

I agree with TLH on the pH issue.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Could be stress from the male if she's the only female in the tank.

I also agree with what's been said about the pH.

If it is only one fish showing signs of anything wrong, then it is unlikley that it is something 'global' in your tank like the water.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I would worry about your pH. Again, as long as the fish are fine. They can acclimate to different pH levels. The more you try and change your pH the less ability your water will have to hold a steady pH.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
TLH said:
Having said that your CO2 will eventually (if you don't do water changes) use up all the buffer in your tank and you will get a PH crash.BAD.Keep up with the changes and check ph weekly.
This is not true in every case. I have a NWC tank and topping off for evaporation with tap water caused my pH buffer to steadily rise, making my pH LESS likely to ever crash. It all depends on what hardness of water you have and what mix of plants you have.