LR Emergancy

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
its all over. my tank crashed.

Hi All had an emergancy situation happen. i order 20Kg of LR to be split up between 3 tanks. and the emergancy was that all the rock ended up in my tank for the next 1/2 a day.

because im at work i just dashed home dumped the rock in my main established tank. but when i get home in 2 hours time ill take the rock out and put them in a container that has a water being pumped into it via my sump and the water is returend to the sump. this is just a temp thing like i said for half a day. (much like a ref. but full of rocks)

any liklyhood of everything dying.

my stats in my tank are perfect..

the rock went in wet (not dry, but i think some of the critters died. some worms and crabs, but my tang and wrasse ate them almost straight away)

cheers aron..

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
dieoff is going to be normal on rock which is shipped...you should be just fine...the one thing to watch for would be a mini-cycle if you leave your 1/3 of the rock in your display but with 30kg of established rock in the tank the die off from adding another 8 kilos probably isn't even going to give you trouble (but i won't swear to it so monitor ammonia, etc)

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
yeah. i was just hoping it wont happen in the next 3 hrs. once i get home ill take the rock out, and half of it will be going to somone elses tank. just the couries came early.

i just didnt want to distroy my main tank that i have finaly got established after almost 2 months. that would make me spew.

i will moniter everything crucialy, and do water changes - etc if neede. ill be getting a ref this weekend sho hopefully next week the ref should help my tank along.

cheers.

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
LFS water and mixing into tank.

just 1 more quick question.

iv always as a rule tried to never mix the LFS water into my tank (eg ill take rock , fish , corel out of the LFS water with a net or whatever and put it in my tank) is this ok or realy dosent matter. (basicly i throw away alot of little critter, small crabs, worms, other weird stuff. if this isnt criticle i might tip the LFS water - with the critters into my ref.

cheers. aron.

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Also it might have been treated with meds x,y and z, and particularly copper.

I would have tried to put the rock in a vat of water NOT connected to the sump, and with just a powerhead. I'd have taken the rock I wanted and checked it for dieoff, and stuck it in if it seemed safe

Tang and wrasse already? You're stocking up awful fast

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
all over.. its the end of my tank.

well my sytem looked like it just died.

i came home 3hrs after i put the rock in to find my tank milky. i did an amonia check and its gone from 0 to .6 in 3 hours. i took all that new rock out and put a venturie on the powerheads, and moved all my corel to the top of the tank. but i dont think anything will live.

expensive lesson, and i was doing so well.

cheers aron.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ammonia can be generated quickly. I'd look to do some big fast water changes as quickly as possible. You're actually better off pulling out any corals you have and putting them in a plastic bag to stay moist than subjecting them to ammonia rich water.

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
well its almost been 24 hrs. iv done a 60L water change and my amonia has droppen down to .3 my tank is still a bit milky but at least the fish are back out swimming around and looks like all the corel is good. ill do another 60L water change saturday afternoon. (or wen do you guys suggest i do it)

feeeling a bit better now.

cheers aron.