LR with no skimmer

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm looking to add another 45lbs of LR to my tank, but if I buy it locally it's very expensive. If I buy it online I have to cure it again, last time I cured with my existing equipment. I don't have spare skimmer to use, what could I do?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
why would you need a skimmer when curing the rock?

All you need to cure the rock is a extra tub to fit it and a couple of powerheads for water movement; you dont need to skim while curing.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I read that you did. If not than that's great. Now all I need is $200. Would I get better coraline growth when I add a PC light? If so I might get a better light fixture first. There are just so many things I would like and all of them are expensive.

Last edited:

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Protein skimmer is a vital equipment during curing live rocks. You can cure LRs w/o a skimmer but that would require more frequent water changes to remove the die off.
I have never cured LR w/o a skimmer but from I have read in sites like Krib and other, it require almost 100% daily water changes.

Rohn

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
rohnds said:
I have never cured LR w/o a skimmer but from I have read in sites like Krib and other, it require almost 100% daily water changes.

Rohn

I would perosonally rather do the w/c instead of putting my skimmer through that, but thats just personal preference. If you really dont want to do the w/cs you can take the skimmer off the tank for the time while it cures.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Depends how much stuff dies during curing, but certainly a skimmer can help ease the pain of water changes. You need to keep the water as good as you can while curing , otherwise a decent ammonia spike will kill a lot of what you've paid for.