Macroalgea?

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
HI guys, I was wondering about some plants that can help lower or keep nitrate levels down. Camaro said something about chaetomorphea( or chaeto), what is that? And what it macroalgea?? thanx *PEACE!*

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
If you go with caulerpa, grape or red or whatever, be sure to remove some of it every now and then before it turns nasty. It goes sexual sometimes and can really flood the tank with crap.

But I'd go with the chaeto like kahlua and dback said above.

I can really vouch for mmacro's effectiveness. I had a garden of padina sp. and ripped it out one day. Tank has suffered a bryopsis and a little cyano bloom ever since. It's now coming back... the interesting thing was it didn't really start to explode in new growth until I removed an absolutely bryopsis covered rock from the tank.

Tangs will devour caulerpa and i think chaeto too, just a heads up.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well, I would go with most of these peoples suggestions IF you have a fuge, If your looking to lower nitrates and add to the beauty of your system I wouldn't really put any of the algaes in the main tank as they tend to go crazy anbd grow on everything then you can't get rid of them. I wanted to keep my nitrates low in my tank and also do it in a way that is natural and looks good. there are a couple options here, depending on the depth of your sand bed. I added Shaving brush plants and shoal grass and they look fantastic, and fish hide in them and pods love them, they also remove nitrates. You could add something like maiden's hair or turtle grass as well. I know a respectable online dealer that can supply all of these. just PM me if you have and questions, also search for my thread "New Digital Camera" if you want to see what they look like in a tank.