macros and actinics

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
I've been keeping my chaeto and caulerpa alive with a 10k t5 bar and a regular flourescent light (low wattage) well my tt5 burnt out and i wanted something with a little more beef. I want to have the macros actually grow, to help with nutrient export. I bought a smartpaq 32w retrofit model1624. it has a 10k daylight and a 460nm actinic.

First of all is the 10k PC I have now more powerful than the 10k t5 I had previously? And by how much?
Secondly the lady at the LFS was swearing up and down the actinics were helpfully in photosynthetic plants growth is this true and if so would it be more beneficial if i kept this 50/50 PC or bought one with just all daylight.
Third do I need more watts for a 15g refugium or will this be enough to actually make my macros grow?
Thanks all-

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
First of all is the 10k PC I have now more powerful than the 10k t5 I had previously? And by how much?
No, probably less if the T5 had a decent reflector on it.

Secondly the lady at the LFS was swearing up and down the actinics were helpfully in photosynthetic plants growth is this true and if so would it be more beneficial if i kept this 50/50 PC or bought one with just all daylight - she is 100% all wrong. you want to 6500's.

As to whether or not your macros grow depends on how deep the water is , and how clear it is - I would run carbon 100% of the time as macros will colour your water, causing lighting hassles for everything. they will grow I think, but how much is up to you.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I have a standard power compact bulb..not the right spectrum ( like 3000 ) but it shoots more than the others that you put into standard sockets.
My caulerpa is growing so fast in my sump, chaetomorpha either along with coralline under this light...weird huh...and cost 4 $ for 23 watts.
You could replace your standard fluo with a 6000-6700k, like flora-glo or life-glo.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'd have said anything with some red and yellow in it like a 3000 to 6500 would be best for growing algae, with a 5500 being optimal I think.
Practical experience tells me green algaes do not grow at all under actinic