Major "Infestation"

coxmaster

Small Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Kansas
Currently i have a 10 gallon tank. The water is chyrstal clear. The rocks are mostly clean. The cleanliness ends there. All four walls of my tank are completely covered in algae. (or whatever else) It is mostly brown. I guess i slacked a little bit on my cleaning. I bought a small pleco and a Chinese Algae eater hoping that that will help the problem. Is all i need to do is clean it really well and the algae eaters will keep it realitively clean or do i need to do something more drastic to clean it?? My tank=*SICK* I NEED SOME HELP

10 gal: One small pleco, one chinese algae eater, two red eye tetras, and one cherry barb.

How long has this tank been set up? Brown algae is common in new setups; It sometimes goes away on its own with time; if not, any fish that eats algae will eat brown, and it is easily removed mechanically.

I think a bigger problem, at least a potential one, is a pleco in a 10... he will get WAY too big for that tank; the CAE is also a poor choice because they get agressive and do a poor job with algae. a better selection for a 10 would be an Otto(Ottocinclus catfish).

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I agree with bigredspecial. I've experienced the same thing with newer tanks...AND with over-feeding. Combined with a lax water-change/cleaning/maintenance (whatever you wanna call it) schedule, the brown stuff became a real problem. The solution was to do at least weekly water changes and feed less at feeding times.

Big Vine

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
I agree with Bigredspecial, plecos and chinese algae eaters are too big for a small tank. I have an Otocinclus Catfish that keeps my tank clean; they are excellent algae eaters. They're only an inch and half, so you could even get a few of them. :D

coxmaster

Small Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Kansas
Dont worry they are all smaller versions of the two fish the are only supposed to get to a max of 2-3(pleco0 and 1-2(shinese algae eater) The tank is about 3 years old but the algae just built up because i got lazy. So would mechanically removing it be the best bet??

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Get a scraper and scrape off all you can. I would get two otos instead of the others. They eat the brown algae. I don't know if the fish you purchased eat the brown kind or not.
Do you vacuum your gravel and do regular water changes? If your tank is in sunlight, it will have an algae problem and should probably be moved.

coxmaster

Small Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Kansas
It isn't in the sun at all. I wanted to get two Ottos but i went to all the pet stores in my area and non of them had ever heard of ottos. My dad got tired of me asking so he made me get what the guy at petco suggested.