making a glass cover

shadypat

Large Fish
Nov 10, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
I would like to get a custom tank cover made at a hardware store....what kind of glass or plexiglass or plastic should I ask them to use?

Also, I found an all glass aquarium CF fixture. The button didnt work, so I took it apart and found that if I can permanently get the two brass wire to be in contact with each other, the light will stay on. whats the best method of doing this? Should I tape them together with electrical tape? I am obvioulsy not a handyman.

Methylx

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2006
Ft. Worth
www.myspace.com
I made my own "cover" using plexiglass. All I can say is have them cut it for you, I had hell trying to use the hand tool to cut it straight. I used mine primarily just to have something to protect my lighting fixtures from water splashing up though. I think often times the best idea is to buy a cover designed for your tank since the cost of plexiglass and skill needed can be tough. Just my two cents.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Which tank is this? Even a plexiglass cover for a 2.5g warps a lot and bends in, and that's double strength plexiglass. I imagine it'd do it a lot worse in a 20 or a 46g size. You'd probably have more luck with a piece of glass, and have them cut it to fit for you... maybe 2 pieces of glass, ducttaped together so you can lift one up for feeding?