From marinedepot.com:
1) 2x Seio 820 powerheads
2) 1x MagDrive 7 (for my return)
3) 1x 250 watt Jager heater
4) Salifert KH/Alkalinity Test
5) Salifert Calcium Test Kit
From airwaterice.com:
1) Typhoon III RO/DI unit

I do not have plans for lighting yet. Depending on my choice, I may need to snag a chiller. I've also been asking around on Reef Central, and the general opinion is that my current AquaC Remora skimmer will not be able to handle a 75 gallons plus a 29 gallon sump. I found an AquaC Remora Pro for $160 somewhat locally that I may snatch up if needed.
I don't know what I'm doing for substrate yet (most likely a DSB in the sump per Wayne's suggestion, but unsure of sand bed depth in display).

Am I missing anything else major here? I don't want to order until I have ok's from people that know what they're doing.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
How many GPD does that RO handle and how much is it? You may be able to find a much better deal on ebay. All the RO units I see for sale at fish stores/websites are 2 times $ what they should be.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
have you taken into account the feet of head you need for the pump? on a 75g i would think you would need at least 4ft...that can seriously cut down the flow rate

worth looking at: http://www.marineandreef.com/Info/DannerPumpSpecs.html

i would get a bigger return pump...maybe as big as the mag 12...you can always cut back the flow with a ball valve if it is too much, but you don't want to cut yourself

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Also, the seio's are great at moving large amounts of water but can't be used on wavemakers, I have 2 820's on my 75 and I would really like to swap them out for 3 Maxijets with a wavemaker. I light my tank with the current usa outer orbit which is great (though pricey) I would think if you are running a dsb in your sump you would really only need about 1-2 inches in the display but then again, there are proponents of the bare bottom (yikes) but it does have advantages, depends on what fish you are going to stock also.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I chose that RO unit because of it's abilitity to efficently tackle my tap water. A local water treatment employee recommends this unit to the local reef club members.
I have to run, so thank you all for answering these questions!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think there's a seio wavemaker out now, but check for details. While the remora may be a bit out of it's depth in this setup it would, i.m.o. be ok to live with , and get everything else right, and then buy a bigger skimmer down the road. Frankly if you have a sump, a secondhand non HOB makes much more sense - nonHOB skimmers like urchins have much cheaper prices new and seconfd hand than HOBS.

What your substrate is depends on your desired livestock

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I just ordered my heater and powerheads and a Mag12. There was a slight problem with using my gift certificate at marinedepot.com, so everything will get here by the middle of next week (as opposed to Saturday or Monday).
Regarding my livestock, I still don't know what I want. I already have a clownfish and a handful of corals. I definetly want some sort of hawkfish, Coral Beauty or other dwarf angel, some sort of wrasse (but not a sixline ever again), maybe some kind of goby, and maybe a smaller tang or butterfly if I'm feeling lucky.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I understand some of you marine folk swear by brand name RO units, but really my ebay unit has done 100 gpd for well over 8 months dropping my TDS from 350-400 down to 4.

Because I do not keep marine I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about huh. I only paid 70 bucks for it. In the end it's your pocket, so buy what you like.

Last edited:

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I haven't bought the RO unit yet and haven't even bothered looking on Ebay yet either. Thanks for the input though...I'd love to save $130 anyday.

I'm going to bed...just pulled the third all nighter this week.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Wayne, I have been looking for wavemakers for the SEIO the problem I run up against is that they are not great at stopping and starting. Lately mine have been fine but sometimes they need a shake or two to restart. If SEIO is making the wavemaker specifically for that powerhead I would be interested in looking into it.

Matt, I agree, stick with the Remora and watch to upgrade it to an in sump or remora pro as funds permit. It should do you fine when you first set up the bigger tank as you won't have it fully stocked, but once you start adding more livestock you will need to get a more efficient skimmer for your tank size. My remora pro on my 75 pulls all kinds of junk from the water and I have a low bioload......so.....there you go. Good luck and we want pics soon.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
So the Seios, heater, and Mag12 got here today. I put a Seio in my 29 to beef up the flow but I don't know if it made a difference or not yet. The Mag12 itself weighs a lot (there was a $5 extra shipping charge for it).
I'm still waiting on my RO unit to be shipped (more on that later).
Also, I'm still torn between PCs and MH. I know MH would look great, but the added heat would force me to buy a chiller. I'm thinking about buying a wooden canopy and retrofitting a lot of PCs to it, probably more than 4 (a measly 260 watts).

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You know in all honesty my halid doesnt heat the water that much...I am currently running a 400 watt and a few T5s on my 90. I have to 5 inch space fans mounted behind the canopy. If you give it enough distance away from the water and you ventilate and use fans I dont see any problems.