Making my own betta jar

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
Here is what im planing to do once my bettas come in

1. Get a large slate of pexi glass
2. Mesure the size of the jar i want my bettas to be in
3. Gluing them together by putting silicon on the edges so that the jar can be sticked together

what do you think?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
There is something called acrylic cement you can use instead of silicone. Silicone will not bond strongly to acrylic, but the cement will actually fuse the sheets together.

Its not cheap and not all that easy to find either, but I understand your reason for using acrylic (lite-weight, etc..)

Why not build a barracks out of a bigger tank (see my 17gal thread), using acrylic sheets as dividers?

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14404

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
ahh i already have the plexi glass... i kinda rather make my own becuase i want to se what its like instead of buying them becuase im going to get like 8 or more bettas and jars for me cost around 2-3 bucks. for the silicon thing how come it wouldn't bond to plexi glass that well ?

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
2-3 bucks for some jars? You can get some glass ones from a dollar store for like, well, a dollar. And if you start "antiqueing" (ie, yard sales and thrift shops) you could probably get a good collection of jars going for a whole lot cheaper.

Or go online and buy in bulk from a supply company. You'll probably find that you can get plastic bottles (who said jars have to be made of glass?) for way way cheaper.
~~Colesea

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
ahh thanks for the help!!!... i will see what goes on my mind from
buying jars or making my own

but for now gotta start working on my betta case :)

Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
Anyone know somewhere online to get jars cheap? All I have at home are my moms old canning jars =p would like some plastic ones... I almost thought of those coke glasses that you see at retsurants the big 32 oz ones and using those.