making progress....I think

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
Ok so I have been doing the water changes to keep the ammonia level down. I did a change tonight and checked and it is down to 0.5. I also checked the nitrites and finally have some Only at 0.5 though. Should I continue to monitor the ammonia and do water changes if it gets above 1? What about the nitrites? Aren't they harmful to the fish too?

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
yes the nitrites are harmful too. just do with them, what you did for the ammonia, and you should be just fine. i would watch the ammonia just to make sure it goes to 0. congrats you are half way through your cycle.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
yes nitrites are harmful as well. Just remember when your done cycling you need to keep an eye on nitrates. They can kill your fish as well if they get to high. i try to keep my nitrates between 10 and 20ppm. But are usually between 20 and 40ppm. i have a lot of fish so im outside of the norm ! lol
your in the home stretch ! almost there !
so close and yet so far away ! LOL
good luck and keep us posted

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
ok so I checked this morning and the ammonia level is 0. WOOHOO. Nitrites are still 0.5 and nitrates were not 0 but weren't 5 (that is the scale on the API kit) Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
WOOT! Hang in there!! :)
Once your nitrites are (finally!) at zero, I would continue monitoring the water parameters a couple of times a week just to make sure there are no surprises. There shouldn't be, but for me it's peace of mind. :)
Eventually you will get comfortable with your system and you won't have to check it so frequently. I still check my parameters every week to 10 days, and my tank is 6 months old.

janis

Small Fish
May 21, 2009
NH4 - Ammonia
Ideal Value = 0
Acceptable range = very near 0

NO2 - Nitrite
Ideal Value = 0
Acceptable range = near zero

NO3 - Nitrate
Ideal Value = lower than whatever it currently is
Acceptable range = 0ppm to 100ppm, more or less

pH (acidity/alkalinity)
Ideal value = whatever it usually is
Acceptable range = typically 6.5 to 7.5 in freshwater, 7.8 to 8.5 in saltwater.

KH - Carbonate Hardness
Ideal value = between 4-6 dKH in freshwater, 6-10 in saltwater
Acceptable range = pretty much the same

maybe this could help you in your tests and monitoring. i got these info from here actually.

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
Am I correct in thinking that once the nitrates start rising the nitrites will be 0? And that the nitrates will get rid of the ammonia? I checked this morning and the ammonia level is 0.5, nitrites 0, and nitrates somewhere between 0-5.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Am I correct in thinking that once the nitrates start rising the nitrites will be 0? And that the nitrates will get rid of the ammonia? I checked this morning and the ammonia level is 0.5, nitrites 0, and nitrates somewhere between 0-5.
when your nitrate reading start going up your Nitrite should be 0 same with ammonia.
ammonia for me usually between 0 and 0.25