making your own tank

Jun 21, 2008
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. You would need some sort of bottom and top trim pieces, ideally. And the last time I priced glass it was more expensive to buy and make than to just buy a tank. Also, I don't think that sealing a tank is the easiest thing to do, and if you didn't have the trim pieces you would have to figure out a way to hold it together while it cured. Are you thinking of making your own tank instead of fixing the leak in yours?

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
well, kinda of both, right now i have some 100% silicone drying in the tank, i just took off all the old silicone and put new on, but i was thinking maybe another tank but this one could be a 100g and ill just have both going... when my gf and i get our own place soon, we want a room dedicated to the fish tanks...
also i work at a hardware store and i can get glass dirt cheap especially if i cut it myself

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
For most 100 gallon tanks you'd be looking at 1/2" glass... It doesn't cut the same as the thin stuff ;). If the tank were relatively short (say 18" or so) and it had proper bracing you *might* be able to cut that down to 3/8" glass but I wouldn't recommend it over a long span (length). And 3/8" still is not easy to cut, ideally one would use specialized tools for a clean and straight line. The biggest thing when making a tank is how it all fits together, if you're filling gaps or things are out of square... there's not that much strength.

Also take into account most DIY glass tanks are flat bottom. These *must* be supported fully on the whole bottom when on the stand. Even a small amount of torque could cause a failed bottom pane so a flat, solid top is needed. The fix for that is to make a floating bottom (like most manufactured tanks) but it's a bit more complicated to build and some type of frame *should* be made, especially with larger tanks.

Chris

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
my 110 is 3/8" glass and is 48" long 18" wide and 30" high. my 180s are 1/2" thick glass and they are beasts to to move. they are 6' long 2' wide and 2' high. i think your right Chris_A in that its all in the supports (bracing) and how they hold the glass. i've seen a friends 150 and it was 3/8" glass as well. i'm not sure of the height (believe it was close to height of my 110) or width but it appeared to be 48" long.

Mar 4, 2009
some advice. a few yrs back,i built a tank using some glass cabinet doors i'd been saving for about 10 yrs. 23x24x24,basically a cube. somewhere around 45 gallons. i used a thick mirror for the back,trimmed the top ,bottom perimiters and the corners with wood,all screwed together.made the hood,had 2 40watt ''swirley'' bulbs in it.i built a very handsome oak cabinet to set it on.i planted it. had red platties galore.beautful.i was very proud of that aquarium that ''i built''.i received more compliments on the tank than i did on my house,which i also built.about a year went by,all is good. i walked up to it to turn off the light and go to bed and there was a crack on the front glass starting at the top center going all the way to the bottom left hand corner.it wasnt leaking and all the wood trim was holding it together,but it was broken.turns out that the really thick glass that i used was too thin. it was about .275-.300 in. and that is not enough. try it if you want,but i'll buy my stuff used. on my areas Craigs List there are a couple 55 gal. setups with stands and all the gear for $100 each.there are 10's 20's and 30's dirt cheap. some for free! some with FISH!! thats my story and just my opinion. happy fishing.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i agree with you R's Guitars, in that i would buy used before i tried to build. the price of glass is expensive for 3/8" or 1/2" and when i had my glass lids made, i found out that you have to buy whole sheet of glass and not just the size you want. craigs list, from what i've seen is the way to go. there are some really good deals there.