Malaysian driftwood

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
Malaysian driftwood (plus filter questions)

Will the malaysian driftwood in my tank EVER stop turning the water yellow?

When I went to the store to stock my tank, I wanted some driftwood, and the worker suggested malaysian driftwood. It looks awesome, but he said that it is usually used for reptile habitats, not aquariums. He said to soak it in a bucket for two weeks, changing the water every day until it stops turning yellow/brown.

Ok, I did this. Then I put the thing in my tank, and it instantly turned the water yellow brown. Now, about 3 months and many water changes later, it's STILL turning the water yellow/brown. It also made the pH drop but that has since been raised and stabilized.

Is there anything I can do about this? Should I have soaked it longer? Should I just get rid of it? I'm sure it doesn't bother the fish, it probably seems more natural to them. It DOES look more natural to me too, just dark. If I had stronger lighting it would be better.

I don't want to remove it because it looks awesome and my Pleco loves it. But someday I'd like to have crystal clear water again.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I got some Malaysian driftwood from Drs. Foster and Smith, and it discolored the water very, very little even when I was just soaking it. Sank imediately, and never discolored the water in the tank at all. And it is sold for aquarium use, not terrariums (could be used for either though).

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
yes the nylon ones. Cotton, well no telling what it has been treated with and it will rot. Do make sure they are brand new and have never been used...eww

Just put it in the open space behind your filter cartridge.

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
You might want to replace your carbon every week untill the staining goes away. Carbon says active for a week at tops in an aquarium. After that, it only serves as extra bio filter media.

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
Thanks to both you guys. I will try the stocking first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try replacing the cartridges more often.

Sounds like a definite run to Petco tomorrow! :D

Hey, while we're talking filters, I have another question! (the endless questions of a newbie, huh?)

Every four weeks when I change my chem filter, I also rinse out my bio sponge. The lfs guy told me to take out some tank water in a bucket, and just swish the sponge around in it to get the big chunks off. Then put it back in. I realize this is so I don't disturb the bacteria colonies.

But my bio-filter is REALLY nasty. I mean, if I just squeeze it in the bucket, it instantly turns the water black. Is this normal? Or should I clean it a little better? I just don't want to screw anything up.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2006
Superior, WI
Sounds like you have a pretty knowledgable lfs guy. Cool...

I do basically the same thing you do, give it a squeeze and then swish in old tank water when I do my filter change. I wouldn't do much more than that.

Maybe your filter pad isn't seated properly and some water is bypassing allowing crud to collect on the bio-foam?

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
If I were you, I would just boil the driftwood..I boiled mine for two days, 6-8 hours each, and in between boils (when I was sleeping at night), I'd soak it in the bucket of water..Works like a charm for me! :)