Male Betta Life Expectancy...

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Life expectancy seems to vary. Some of the literature say 2 years. However, I have male bettas that are 5 years old. I do notice that those that are interbred for finnage and color seem to have shorter lifespans. Those that have more "wild" traits live longer.

ya, like refred said...most 'petstore' bettas live 1-2 years at home with you...but realize that they are 6months to 1 year already when you get them (males only, females are younger)

I've known bettas in vases to live 4 or so years...BUT they seem to go into a sort of suspended animation...they don't move, or anything so they just forget to die or something. My MIL had one like that...lilly vase set up, no heater...he lived forever, but he looked SOOOOOOO miserable.

cutter

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2004
Visit site
LydiaGreen said:
Owner of an LFS told me that I could expect my male bettas to live for up to 10 years. They are each in a 10 gallon tank and I do weekly water changes.
Sorry to dissapoint you LydiaGreen but unfortunately bettas (at least the bettas that the majority of us can find at our LFS's) don't have a life expectancy of more than 18 months. No betta can live 10 years regardless of tank size or regularity of water changes...

LydiaGreen

Medium Fish
Sep 16, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
cutter said:
Sorry to dissapoint you LydiaGreen but unfortunately bettas (at least the bettas that the majority of us can find at our LFS's) don't have a life expectancy of more than 18 months. No betta can live 10 years regardless of tank size or regularity of water changes...
Then how is it that RevFred has male bettas that are 5 years old?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Oldest betta I have seen in person was 5 years from they day they bought it at the LFS, so 6 years is possible, but not common. Lost of store brands are interbred, so defects are common, and poor handling while they are growing up (crowded - lots of ammonia) can cut years off a betta's life. Expect 2 years for most, less for some, more for others.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
"Wild" bettas lack the exotic finnage of the interbreds. In fact they are quite drab, the females moreso than the males. As my local SE Asian betta breeder told me, "round tails" embody more of the "wild" traits than others.