male/female betta behaviors

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Ok to start with SEPERATE them NOW...you can't keep a male and female betta together, one or both will be dead by the end of this week. Do some more reading on bettas...You can keep females together I recommend getting them all at the same time and preferably from the same tank as they will be able to establish their pecking order. Males are to be kept ALONE, they will kill eachother and females as well. I recommend getting your male a small tank anywhere from 2 to 5 gallons, they are much happier alone. Also don't keep your male with another fish that has long fins as he will probably attack it as well thinking it is another male....Please seperate them now so there are no unfortunate deaths.

drake53

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
southern Texas
agreed with animal lover. about the situation with the reverse role. well i think because females are duller and are less likely to be seen at night so maybe she turns on him. Or maybe they got angry at each other or divorced.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Even if you have kept these two together, there will probably come a point where they will no longer stand for eachother in the same tank. If they have tried breeding, they will soon become intolerant of eachother. It's generally best to keep them seperate from the start for this reason as it can be stressful on both the male and female.