Male Guppy about to explode?

rmorcom

Small Fish
May 19, 2004
Winnipeg
Visit site
My daughter has her own 10 gallon tank with 1 male guppy, 1 female guppy and about 20 babies. We had two females but the older one just died (I assume of old age or possible after this last batch of fry). The male guppy has slowly been getting fatter and fatter, his stomach looks like a pregnant female. Tonight when I went in there to feed them he looks like he is going to pop, he is still eating and acting normal, has anyone ever seen anything like this? :eek:

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I would have said dropsy except that rmorcom indicated that the male guppy is behaving normally except for the large abdomon.

Could this be a case of over feeding? With male and female in the same tank as the frys, it is possible that the male guppy is feeding on the frys.

How often do you feed them?

Just to be on the safe side watch him for other symptoms of dropsy. Portruding scales, loss of appetite, lathargicness, contorion of the body.

Rohn

rmorcom

Small Fish
May 19, 2004
Winnipeg
Visit site
I have been feeding them twice a day because of the fry. I wouldn't say that too many of the fry are missing since I noticed them in the tank, I guess he could have had a feast when they were quite small. I will watch him and let you know if there are any changes!