male guppys

maggie

New Fish
Sep 9, 2008
isle of man
hi everyone , i have 1 of my tanks with guppies and platies in it. Iv noticed 2 of my male guppys seems to prefer the platie females and are not interesed in the female guppys. I didnt thnk that platys @ guppys breed together?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
No, platties and guppies can't breed together. However, if you have a low ratio of female:male guppies, they may not feel they have enough females. You should have 2 or 3 female guppies for each male in the tank. The same applies to platties... have 2 or 3 females for every male.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
However, be prepared for some seriously high reproduction rates and either have a plan for the new fish or get rid of the females- trust me, you will not believe how quickly these fish will overstock your tank if allowed to breed.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ditto, unless you are prepared to deal with lots of baby fish and buy more tanks to house them, pick males or females to keep.

Interesting fact: Guppies and platies can't breed together, but guppies and mollies CAN. There was a thread on "Muppies" awhile back. I believe it's hard to do though and you have to have just the right fish. :)