Male Platy won't come out or eat

Mamabon

New Fish
Sep 3, 2012
I have a 20 gal freshwater tank and a beginner. After a week bought 2 male and 2 female plattys (2 hi fin coral and 2 Mickey mouse). Three of them are out eating and seem fine. The larger male, a blue coral hi fin platy hides all the time and rarely if at all comes out. The other male eats a lot and swims everywhere - is he being dominent so the other, is hiding? Do I need more females? Should I try to return him I don't have another tank. Or is he just shy, maybe eating from the bottom? He looks healthy otherwise.
I have these 4 fish one week.
Also what species of fish should I add and male or female and how long should I wait. Also how do I know if my tank has cycled?

I<3Platys

Small Fish
Jun 30, 2012
California
For adding fish i would add some neon tetras or guppies.
About yor platy, it may have a disease. From my experience the fish will either get so hungry he will swim to the top to eat or may be sick.

Mamabon

New Fish
Sep 3, 2012
For adding fish i would add some neon tetras or guppies.
About yor platy, it may have a disease. From my experience the fish will either get so hungry he will swim to the top to eat or may be sick.
I may have written a bit too soon, idk. He came out this morning looking beautiful, swimming gracefully all around the tank. I put some flake food in and he took a little. I only feed once a day. I am now using the same food they used in the store. Scales look normal and he even swam with the others. Back in his cave again. I haven't tested for amonia, the strips I have don't cover that. I will look into it but my other three fish seem very happy, are eating, swimming well, even seem to be socializing. Thank you for the quick response.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I would recommend the test tube liquid kit, its a little more money to start out with but they make so many more tests that it is really a TON cheaper. You can even buy the individuals single packs so you can forgo the whole kit. You really need ammonia and nitrate if starting out with a new tank. Oh, you will also need a water conditioner, Orange Cones on here recommends PRIME as do many other here as well.

Mamabon

New Fish
Sep 3, 2012
I would recommend the test tube liquid kit, its a little more money to start out with but they make so many more tests that it is really a TON cheaper. You can even buy the individuals single packs so you can forgo the whole kit. You really need ammonia and nitrate if starting out with a new tank. Oh, you will also need a water conditioner, Orange Cones on here recommends PRIME as do many other here as well.
Before putting any fish in the tank I used conditioner as well as well as Nutrafin Cycle biological Aquarium Supplement. I will get an ammonia test kit of some kind, maybe tube , in the morning.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Great! While your tank is new, you should test for ammonia daily, and be prepared to do daily water changes if you are showing any ammonia whatsoever. Eventually your tank will cycle, and then you can do weekly water tests.

Mamabon

New Fish
Sep 3, 2012
I got the tube kits. Changing water today 25% as ammonia is .25..
Another problem..the guy that sold me the platy didn't know what he was doing and unfortunately we didn't research. I do not want fry. My best fish are the 2 males, 1little, one big and very domineering . He eats first, swims around great. I also have 2 females plus the one male who hides and now 1 female hiding (hoping that could chg with the water change) the hiding are both hi fins. Anyway I hate to bring back my best fish or any fish but think females get along better especially since I know this one male is very dominant. I I have the fish 12 days can still bring back. Any opinions would help. Thanks.

Feb 27, 2009
Keeping either gender will be ok (males together wouldn't be aggressive, nor females together), but keep in mind that if you keep the females, they are likely going to have fry for months. Once they have mated (and this could have happened before you even bought them), they can give birth every month or so for 5 or 6 months.