Mandarin help

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
For those of you that have mandarins that eat prepared foods....how did you get them to do this? Mine doesn't seem to go after anything. I have tried frozen brine and mysis and formula one. Suggestions?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
did you make sure it was eating in the store before you bought it? when i got mine it was eating brine and took mysis almost instantaly, kinda wish i didn't sell her!

Apr 11, 2006
Here how I got mine two mandarins to eat mysis shrimp. I put them into a smaller tank, like a 5 gals with some live rock. Buy live brine shrimp, use a turkey baster and slow squark it in front of the mandarin. When the mandarin inhale water, he will acciendently inhale in the brine shrimp. This will intiate him to eat the brine and then from there on you will be able to get him to mysis in no problem with the same method. My mandarins love mysis more than brine. Alot lot of people said keeping mandarin in small tank is not possible, but I have kept one for a year now in my 20gals and one for 4 months now in my 5 gals, they are doing fine.

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
Hey Joe is there any way you can get some Rod's Reef Food? I traded mine away, but the guy that has them suggested I use this food since coral and fish like it. I saw my old Mandarin chow on that stuff like crazy, something I never saw him do.