Mandrain Gobies

Feb 25, 2006
Texas
Hi,

I have a question for anyone who has had any experience with trying to keep mandrain gobies, I have been trying to find out all I can about them to determine if I can keep one alive before I purchase one. It would appear they are very hard to feed because there main diet seem be copepods. I understand that copepods can be bought and added directly to your tank; but at 24.00 (US) per four Oz that could be very expensive depending on how much they need to survive. Has anyone been able to get them to eat anything other that copepods? Any comments would be welcomed

thanks

Roger

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Some (very few) mandarins will eventually eat fish roe or something else... you could ask Lordroad, I believe he has one that eats other foods. You'd definitely want to see it eat other foods at the store before purchase. Or, if you have a very large, mature tank with lots of live rock and nothing else that eats the copepods, you can keep enough of a population alive to sustain a mandarin naturally. Also, just so you know, they're not technically gobies...

Feb 25, 2006
Texas
Appreciated words

Hi CAPSLOCK.

Thanks for the information. I have seen the article from Lordsroad and It provided me with a lot of ggod information.

Thanks

Roger

CAPSLOCK said:
Some (very few) mandarins will eventually eat fish roe or something else... you could ask Lordroad, I believe he has one that eats other foods. You'd definitely want to see it eat other foods at the store before purchase. Or, if you have a very large, mature tank with lots of live rock and nothing else that eats the copepods, you can keep enough of a population alive to sustain a mandarin naturally. Also, just so you know, they're not technically gobies...

Feb 25, 2006
Texas
Information

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

Roger

KahluaZzZ said:
i got zillions in my sump...a sump/fuge is a good way to ensure you're not completely out of pods.
Still i don't have a mandarin..but a friend do..the mandarin has been ok for 2 years and his sump is filled with pods.