mandrin and fire fish??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i know your not suposed to keep madrins with other gobies because they will be out competed for food i guess my question is would it be so terrible if i got a firefish??? or is it a bad idea??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
its a 55 gallon.... not sure exactly how much lr i kinda lost track but i know its at least 55 lbs but prolly more u cann see the pic in my sig

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well its not a matter of putting the mandrin in there hes already been in there for at least 6 months and been doing fine (he eats mysis once in a while) it was just the firefish in question as for the fuge i should be getting a 30 gal sump/fuge in the next month or so

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
SALTY WATERS said:
as well I do not belive either of the fish you stated are gobies... The mandarin's are Dragonets, and the Firefish are Dartfish.
sry i always look on saltwaterfish.com and they have them both listed under the goby section i guess that why i was confused *crazysmil

so im guessing its safe than right??? also i read on that sight that fire fish prefer to be in pairs is this true??

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I'm not sure if they are gobies or just quite often reffered to as Firefish gobies, as well as mandarine gobies... I think that scientifically speaking they are from different families... but I'm not 100%

But back to topic, if you already have the mandarin and are getting sump/fug then cool. You should be fine then.

as for the Firefish they can be agressive towards there own unless they are a mated pair... so it will be hit or miss for you I guess.