Mangroves

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
my cousin has this 55g freshwater tank that is a bit overstocked with fish...
anyways their ammonia and nitrite lvls are at 0. (that a surprise...)
but there nitrate is off the charts...
if it were up to be i would get more or a better filtering system. their using the stock filter.

anyways i got some mangroves sapling trees from Hawaii and was wondering if that can bring the nitrate down?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I read up on Mangroves a little bit here, from what I read (I really just skimmed over it) they are for saltwater tanks...although they filter out the salt...so they could be ok in a freshwater tank. As far as the nitrates...I believe (dont quote me on this) that any aquatic plant will suck up nitrates for you. I'd read up on that link for the care of them, then give it a shot.

skratikans

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
yeah, but realistically, you cant grow mangroves in a 55g tank, these are trees we re talking about, only way to remove nitrates is through regular water changes. While plants can regularly take them up, there is a limit, you still need to be in a habit of regular water changes, regardless of how many plants you have, esp. if you keep such an over stocked tank full of fish

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Mangroves are salt to brackish plants. They would not thrive in freshwater. A mangrove basically takes the place of a protien skimmer. Most people that have mangroves dont run skimmers. They help keep nitrates and phosphates down. The catch is that there are requirements for the mangroves to grow properly to even be able to filter properly.

Basically not a good idea.

NEVER USE CHEMICALS TO CONTROL WATER PARAMETERS!!! Do water changes and add or remove rock or wood to help you.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
yeah i dont like using chemicals...unnatural things are generally bad...

he is doing weekly water changes (only reason his fish stopped dying on him)
but nitrate is still off the charts and i do mean off the chart...

about the mangroves in a SW tank. it removes organic waste? thats what i use a skimmer for.

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Yea, the only thing i can say is do alot of water changes and maybe take a few or if its reallly overstocked alot of fish out of that tank. From personal experience i can say that the nitraban stuff does work very well. But i have stopped using it.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
How much is he feeding?? That could be an issue too. And when he does what changes how does he do them?? Does he just put the syphon in there and suck out water or does he suck up through gravel?? Does he move the decor around to get around it or underneath it?? Plants generally collect a lot of waste and should be 'disturbed' (for lack of words) a bit during a water change.